The Judicial Council of the National Bar Association, founded in 1971, is the largest and oldest association of black judges in the world. With over 40 years and counting, the Council continues its legacy of service, activism and justice for all.
Our History & Mission
The rapid increase in the number of black judges in the United States prompted the National Bar Association’s National President, Edward F. Bell, to suggest coordination of a separate judicial body within the parent organization. With the cooperation of the National Bar Foundation and financial assistance from the Ford Foundation, and in response to the considerable interest expressed by the National Bar Association judges in cities around the country, a panel of judges was convened in Miami, Florida early in January 1971 to discuss organizing plans. As a result, a Planning Committee was chosen to begin formal organization of the new Council.
More on Our History and Mission
The National Bar Association
The Judicial Council is a division of the National Bar Association (NBA) which was founded in 1925 by twelve African-American pioneers: George H. Woodson, S. Joe Brown, Gertrude E. Rush, James B. Morris, Charles P. Howard, Sr., Wendell E. Green, C. Francis Stradford, Jesse N. Baker, William H. Haynes, George C. Adams, Charles H. Calloway and L. Amasa Knox. With over 20,000 members, the NBA is the oldest and largest national association of African-American lawyers and judges in the United States of America.